“Challenges & Solutions.” Foster Care to Success. Foster Care To Success, 2015. Web. 08 July 2015.
Niki Nicastro McCuistion. “Foster Care Problem: Solutions to the Foster Care Crisis – Pt. 2.” McCuistion TV RSS. Dare To Dream Founation, 2009. Web. 08 July 2015.
Challenges and solutions
The solution is support – adequate, appropriate, caring support.
- Support must start early.
- Supportive adults must understand the science of brain development and the effects of trauma.
- Adults need to reach young people on their own level, in ways that make sense to them and have meaning in their lives.
- Supportive adults must understand the realities of college.
- We must not set youth up for failure by encouraging them to take classes for which they do not have the background.
- Supportive adults must help students understand the realities of financial aid.
- To avoid massive student loan debt, it is critical that foster youth understand the difference between a grant and a loan, and learn to budget.
- Support needs to be consistent and longterm.
- In order to succeed in all of these endeavors and more, they need the same consistent, long-term caring support as any other young adult.
Foster care problems
- antisocial behaviors
- low self-esteem
- post traumatic stress disorders
- help young people build their self-esteem
- provides quality life experiences to children and young people who have been victimized
- with the right care a child can flourish, and sometimes foster care may be the only solution. need for strengthening foster care programs
- keeping a child in their own homes or placed with a relative in a nurturing family environment.
- address the need for more caring, committed people becoming foster care givers
- community to provide help for families
- A key issue is the case worker, often an area of need as time and funds are issues.
- adoption and its challenges